EasyWorship Plugins

An exciting discussion about next version of EasyWorship.

Moderators: DanW, billh, Rodger, Terry

EasyWorship Plugins

Postby sitb2000 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 am

Raising this as a discussion with regards to allowing external plugins to be developed for EasyWorship - i.e. EasyWorship App Store!

The idea came about after discussions about a large youth event. We thought youths could use their cell phones to get messages onto the screens through SMS. SMS would then be received (somehow) on the computer and could possibly use the Message Alert feature in EW to display the SMS text on the screens, adding interactiveness to the event. At present I don't think this is possible.

This got me thinking about the possibility of developing custom plugin applications for EW, having a development community could enhance the feel of EW.

Not sure how this would be achieved though.

Simon
sitb2000

Re: EasyWorship Plugins

Postby techyguy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:43 pm

i know I would love something to do with sms, even via a usb data stick as the receiving point... polls, messages (moderate-able) etc... there is a program, sms studio i believe, that does this sort of thing, and tbh i think 'that' is expecting a little too much of EW, especially when we are just waiting for the next version to come out first lol
Tech Team - Windsor Community Church, NZ
techyguy

Postby sitb2000 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 am

It's the plugin side I could be interested in in order to develop custom "apps" that could be used - the SMS idea was just one side.

More app examples could include game show ideas - Deal or No Deal, Family Feud, Who Wants to be a Millionaire which could be included into the schedule (PowerPoint just doesn't cut it due to the interactive nature of the games). I know I could possibly find some kinda downloadable version on the net, but then I have to drag it over to the display screen which looks messy.

You are right, there isn't enough time to start development here (as a developer myself I know about time to market, it takes a good few months to sort out the requirements), but maybe worth discussing for the next product roadmap?
sitb2000

Postby techyguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:50 am

Plugins... yes that sounds not too bad actually, not that I can actually program stuff, but the ability to add in custom functionality, like the games you mentioned, would be amazing!
Tech Team - Windsor Community Church, NZ
techyguy

Postby rbird59 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Plug-Ins.. Yes please! The ability for the more technical users to be able to develop Plug-ins for EasyWorship via an open API or something could really add value to the product. EasyWorship Developers could also develop plugins. Plugins could be shared or sold on the EasyWorship website store. For instance a "Countdown" plugin. Different people have different ideas about the type of countdown they would want. If the EasyWorship architecture was designed in such a way as to support plugins, many different people could develop and sell/share their countdown plugins. Some other things I wish EasyWorship could do that perhaps could be done with a plug-in architecture is effect layers or other things, similar to Song Show Plus. The trick would be to make the UI as simple and user friendly. For instance, I like the cool stuff that can be done with SongShow Plus, but it's pretty technical and somewhat complicated to use.
rbird59

Postby rbird59 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:25 pm

SMS Polls and stuff?
I wanted to do something similar and used Poll Everywhere.
There are several different types of SMS options, Polls or open ended questions (Live Text Wall).
Once you setup the poll you download a PowerPoint/Keynote file that contains a template and instructions on how to integrate LIVE auto updating Poll results into a PowerPoint. Once this is setup you then import that PowerPoint into EasyWorship just like any other PowerPoint. It works really great!
I first saw it used over a year ago at an ERP software conference in which the speaker polled the audience during the talk. He then used the results to dynamically change this talk to cover topics of more interest to the audience.
At our church our Youth Pastor was preaching in place of our pastor one week and wanted to get some direct live feedback from people during the service in regards to an open question. At first he was thinking ushers with mics, so we augmented the mics with the Live SMS wall. Got way more responses to the Live SMS Wall then just the mics. There was about 180 in attendance that morning and we rec'd @ 25 SMS responses.
For up to 30 responses per Poll it's free once you register.
You can use free polls to gauge how many people would respond... you get close to 30, then discuss with church leadership on usage and consideration to purchase a subscription.
If you need to moderate (approve a SMS text before it displays, you have to pay).
rbird59

Return to New Version Updates